Bulgur is a common ingredient in the cuisines of many countries of the Middle East. It is a wheat grain that comes in different sizes. Bulgur does not require cooking, although it can be included in cooked dishes. Soaking it in water is all that is needed. It is a fiber-rich food that can improve digestion and gut health.
Bulgur Pilaf or bulgur pilavi, is a classic Turkish dish that’s made with just a few ingredients. It is very easy to prepare and easy to do. You can include this in your meal plan every single day! Chickpeas are added to the recipe for protein and flavour. Remember to pre-boil the chickpeas before adding. (Do not boil them with the bulgur!) You can use canned chickpea if you find it difficult to cook it on your own or check out our full course on Lentils and Beans here.
Bulgur Pilaf with ChickpeaCuisine: International, Middle EastDifficulty: Easy
Bulgur Pilaf with Chickpea is a healthy dish that you can include in your meal plan everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Bulgur -1 Cup
Chickpea (Boiled or Canned) – 1 Cup
Onions – 2-3 cloves
Garlic – small size
Tomato Paste – 1 Cup or Fresh Tomatoes
Salt – 1 Teaspoon
Coriander Powder – 11/2 Teaspoon
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
Oil – 11/2 Tablespoon
Chili Powder – Optional
Parsley or Mint – Optional
- Prepare bulgur by soaking 1 cup of it in water for about 30 minutes.
- Then, preheat a deep non-stick pan with 1 and a half tablespoons of oil. Add chopped garlic and onions, saute until soft and translucent
- Next, remove water from the soaked bulgur and add it to the pan. Also, add 1 cup of cooked chickpeas (boiled). You can use canned chickpeas if you find it difficult to cook it on your own or check out our full course on Lentils and Beans here.
- After that, add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, a teaspoon of salt, 1 and a half teaspoon of coriander powder and a small cup of tomato paste.
- Mix all ingredients. Make sure that the bulgur and chickpea are not sticking on the pan.
- Lastly, add 2 cups of water. Mix and cover the pot. Turn the heat down to low and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve. Enjoy!