In this recipe, we will be using mung bean and coconut milk. This Coconut Mung Bean, or Mung bean with coconut gravy recipe is very delicious and easy to prepare. Coconut milk is what gives this recipe its rich and creamy texture.
Mung beans or Vigna radiate are tiny green legumes. They are also referred to as moong beans, green gram, maash, moon, monggo, and mungg. They are known to originate in India, and are now widely available and popular across Southeast Asia, East Asia, and the Middle East. Being part of the legume family, the mung bean is rich in several vitamins and minerals. Mung beans are a good source of folate, dietary fiber, protein, phosphorus, iron, copper, magnesium, manganese, potassium and vitamin K.
Before you start cooking, let us first give you a tip on how to cook mung beans. A technique we can share for you to avoid cooking mung beans too much especially when using a pressure cooker. What you can do is to cook the mung beans at the highest pressure then switch it off naturally releasing the pressure for 3 minutes. This will prevent the mung beans to become really mushy.
Coconut Mung BeanDifficulty: Easy
Made with coconut milk, this healthy coconut mung bean recipe is so simple to make and packed full of flavors.
Mung Bean – 1 cup
Coconut Milk – 250ml
Dry Red Chili
Red Bell Pepper
- First, heat oil into a pan and add 2 dry chilis and mustard seeds.
- Then, add finely chopped onions, a teaspoon of finely chopped ginger, and garlic. Saute until onions become translucent.
- After that, add more than half a teaspoon of chili powder, half a teaspoon of turmeric, and 1 teaspoon of cumin powder. Add the cooked mung bean then mix.
- Now, add the coconut milk and wait for the mixture to boil.
- Add salt and the chopped red bell pepper to give a nice color. Boil it for 3 to 5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Serve in a nice bowl, garnish with parsley leaves and enjoy!