Eggplant is an Indian Native veggie that is very common. Either baked, fried, or boiled, it is good in any way it’s cooked. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to create a marinated eggplant patty for a burger or a sandwich, but the base of the recipe is actually inspired by Indian cuisine. Usually, eggplants are used as a customary side dish and day-to-day life in the province of Bengal.
Eggplant Burger Patty or Aubergine Burger Patty is one of the tastiest and the most interesting burgers or sandwiches. You can easily make this at home. It is a very good substitute for a regular burger patty. This eggplant sandwich is good for vegetarian who tries to avoid meat. Also, it can be for those who want to cut out eating too much steak at home. Eggplant or aubergine patty is usually done deep-fried. One example is a famous Indian delicacy called Begun Bhaja, which is a vegetarian recipe for deep-fried eggplant disks. Eggplants are known to absorb a lot of oil when they are fried (which often makes them less healthy). So, we will show you a healthier way on how you can cook aubergine burger patty without deep frying it.
Also, eggplants are known to have a bitter taste so it is important to get the bitterness out of the aubergine. On our recipe video, we will teach you how you can remove the taste of abrasion from the eggplant by marinating it.
Eggplant Burger or Sandwich PattyDifficulty: Easy
Aubergine – 1 Large
1 tablespoon oil
Turmeric – ½ tsp
Salt- ½ tsp
Pickled or Fresh Cucumber
Black Pepper or Ground Cumin (Optional)
- Slice aubergine into a nice thick decent size.
- Take a decently sized bowl and marinate the aubergine. Add a tablespoon of oil, half teaspoon of salt, and half teaspoon turmeric. You can also add chilli to remove the bitterness. Mix it with your hands to cover up the aubergine lightly. Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Then, heat a pan and spread the oil evenly using a spatula. After marinating the aubergine, shallow fry it on the pan for about 10 minutes on each side. Remember to discard the water from the marinated aubergine and do not deep fry it.
- After that, prepare all fillings for your burger: cut raw onions, tomatoes, and pickled cucumber into nice circles. You can also add jalapenos if you like spicy burgers.
- For the sauce or spread, mash the avocado into a small bowl and add a pinch of salt. You can add lemon juice to make a nice smooth, thick sauce.
- Lastly, take 2 slices of bread, and toast it in a warm pan. You can add butter if you want. Spread the avocado butter on top, along with all the fillings and the aubergine patty. Make sure to serve it fresh, and enjoy!