Moringa is one of the most beloved vegetables in India and is available especially during the summers. And while many people consume it, they do not know how many health benefits this humble vegetable can bring. It is not just a vegetable, it is the best nature can offer you as a cure for problems like Edema , for improving liver health and it is known to be rich in vitamins and antioxidants that can even help prevent cancer. This fiber rich pod of moringa is food known for curing upset stomach and in preventing acidity and preventing peptic ulcers.
This is a special spicy delicacy from the eastern part of India. This vegetable is made in different ways depending on where in India your fate lands you. The taste is spicy and quite pungent thanks to a very special way of adding mustard seeds to it.
In this recipe the final ingredient, the yellow mustard seeds makes a key and a remarkable difference in the taste of the curry.
The outer skin is quite fibrous so with a knife cut it almost but not completely. And then pull one part against the other. Peel the fibrous skin out and use a knife if necessary.
Some people also scrape the skin off with a knife but the fiber will still remain intact even after scraping.
When you are peeling don’t strip it off the fibrous skin completely. Some of the dark green skin helps in keeping the Moringa pods intact during cooking. If the peeling is done in excess it will spilt apart during cooking and the texture of the curry will become unupleasant.
Moringa Drumsticks CurryCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
2 Moringa pods
2 Medium size Potatoes
1 Small Onion
2 Medium size Tomatoes
1 tsp Ginger
1 tsp Garlic
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Yellow Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Panchphoran
- Peel and cut the Moringa pods in lengths of 5 cm
- Peel and dice the Potatoes in medium and equal size chunks
- Make a paste of Onion, Tomatoes, Garlic, Ginger in a blender
- Heat oil in a pan and add 1 tsp Panchphoran spice mix and wait for it to splutter
- Add Moringa pods and Poatoes and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the paste of aromatics and Tomatoes you had prepared in step 3
- Cook for a further 2 minutes
- Add the ground spices and cook for a further 2 minutes
- Add 1 cup of water. Add more water if you wish the sauce to be thinner
- Cook until the potatoes are soft. Moringa pods should be cooked in the same amount of time.