Mulled wine or Glühwein in German is a combination of red wine, spices, fruits and sometimes other liquors. It’s a festive drink served warm and traditionally enjoyed during the winter, especially around Christmas time. Glühwein is not something you can get drunk on, it is something you drink slowly and enjoy with your friends and loved ones.
This spiced wine recipe is incredibly simple to make in your own kitchen. You can either use red wine or white wine. Choosing the right wine is very important. The most recommended is something sweet, that is not too dry and bitter. Using the right spices and following the correct procedure is important, or else, you will end up drunk or the flavour will not be what you expect as well. This traditional hot mulled wine recipe is super easy to make, delicious and will warm you from the inside out!
Mulled Wine (Glühwein) Classic Recipe with the Best Spice MixCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Easy
This traditional hot mulled wine recipe is super easy to make, just follow the correct spices and procedure in our recipe. Also, make sure to choose a good quality red wine!
1 Cinnamon Stick
2 whole Star Anise
1 teaspoon of Cloves
50 grams Jaggery or sweetener of your choice
Few slices of orange zest or lemon zest
Peeled orange cubes
Red wine of your choice
- First, add 1-2 teaspoons of water to a pan. Then add the jaggery and cook until you make a nice syrup out of it.
- Then, reduce the heat and add the cloves, cinnamon, star anise and orange zest. Simmer until a fragrant syrup forms, about 1 minute. Add about a quarter of nutmeg to the mixture by grating it. You can also use half a teaspoon of nutmeg powder.
- Reduce the heat further by adding a small amount of water and add the wine. You can also add ginger if you want. Let it boil for at least 5 minutes. Make sure not to boil the wine too much.
- After that, add half rosemary and about 2 to 3 squeeze of fresh orange juice. Let it cook for few more minutes.
- Finally, strain and serve in small mugs. Enjoy!