Palak Paneer is one of the most popular Indian dishes made with paneer cubes (Indian cottage cheese) in a smooth spinach gravy. In Hindi, palak means spinach and paneer means Indian cheese. Aside from spinach, this recipe also includes lots of delicious spices.
Palak paneer is often served with basmati rice, naan bread, or both. The terms palak paneer and saag paneer are sometimes used interchangeably in restaurants, but they are different. Saag paneer is different from traditional palak paneer in that it contains other green leafy vegetables, such as mustard greens, whereas palak paneer only contains spinach.
This flavorful dish is easy to make at home. So make sure to follow our recipe guide and video below!
Palak Paneer, the Indian Restaurant Classic RecipeCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Paneer (Indian cottage cheese)
Spinach – 250 grams
Tejpat or Indian Bay Leaf – 2 pcs
Dry Chillis – 2 pcs
Cassia or Cinnamon – 2 pcs
Black Cardamom – 1 pc
Cloves – 4 pcs
Black Pepper – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
Garam Masala – ½ tsp
Dry Fenugreek leaves – 1 cup
Onion – 1 cup (small-sized)
Ginger – 1 tsp
Garlic – 2 tbsps
Tomato Paste – 2 tsps
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add 2 tablespoons of garlic. Then add the spinach, cook until it is completely dry.
- Set aside the cooked spinach and allow it to cool.
- Heat the pan again and 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the bay leaf, cassia, dry chili, and black cardamom. Saute until the aroma starts to emerge.
- Add a cup of chopped onions, a teaspoon of ginger, and garlic. Cook until onions start to become slightly translucent.
- After that, add all dried spices and pour in 2 teaspoons of tomato paste. Lowe the heat and mix all the ingredients.
- For the spinach puree, put the spinach inside the blender, add 1/2 cup water then start blending until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Add the spinach puree to the pan. Turn off the pan and mix everything nicely.
- Take a cup or a handful of fenugreek leaves and ½ tsp garam masala then add them to the mixture. Mix it nicely and allow it to cook for a few minutes.
- Add about ½ cup of water or as required. Mix and stir again.
- After that, add the paneer cubes (200 to 250 grams cottage cheese) directly to the gravy.
- Mix gently and add a teaspoon of black pepper (this is optional).
- Lastly, add salt to taste. You may also add 2 tablespoons of light cream or cooking cream or low-fat cream.
- Serve hot and enjoy!