Eggplant, which is also called aubergine, comes in a variety of shapes and sizes, and is used a the base for some of the most delicious vegetrian recipes.
Eggplant dip is made in different parts of the world in different ways. Traditional cuisines of the Middle East and Asia have a lot of amazing variations of eggplant recipes. Most of us have probably heard about Baba Ghanoush which is a popular dish from the Middle East. In India, there is a similar recipe of an eggplant dip, where the vegetable is grilled or baled on an open fire. The main difference is that different spices and even vegetables are added to the base mashed aubergine, which makes it into a delicious wholesome meal.
Remember, that it’s important to choose the right eggplant in the market, because it will determine the flavour to a large degree. In the video recipe below, we are explaining in great detail how to do it.
There are also different types of procedures on how to cook this recipe but we are going to use Indian Eggplant Mash or Baingan Bharta.
Roasted Eggplant Dip (Baba Ganoush and Baingan Bharta)Course: Lunch, dinner, BreakfastCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Aubergine – 2 Large
Medium sized onion
Big Green Chilis
Olive Oil or Mustard Oil – 1 tbsp
1 cup of Green Peas
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Take 2 medium-sized eggplants, cut it into 4 slits and make sure that the head is intact. Then make some cross-cuts at each slit. Peel out 4 to 5 garlic cloves. Stuff a small piece of garlic on each eggplant petal. Do this for both eggplants.
- Coat the eggplant with some oil. This would help for the skin of the eggplant to come out easily after it is baked. You may also apply some oil inside the eggplant. Then rub it with some salt.
- After that, place the eggplant inside the oven at around 180 degrees centigrade for about 20 minutes. Make sure to preheat the oven before putting the eggplant inside. Once it is ready, just peel off the skin with the help of a spoon. Mash the eggplant.
- Chop some garlic, onions, coriander and some fresh green chili. You can also add green peas (optional). Heat a tablespoon of oil on a pan, then add the chili and green peas. Cook at a very high heat for a few minutes.
- Lastly, add the mashed eggplant. Add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of turmeric. Mix well. Add the raw onions, garlic and coriander last. Enjoy!