Palak means spinach and paneer is an Indian cheese. Essentially, Palak Paneer is an Indian cheese cooked in spinach gravy. But paneer is really hard to find and some people also want a vegan option to substitute the Indian cottage cheese. So in this recipe, we will replace Paneer with Tofu. Keep in mind though, tofu and paneer may look similar, but the taste is completely different. Tofu is not as rich as paneer, but it works in this recipe and it will still be delicious.
Palak Paneer, the Indian Restaurant Classic RecipeCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Tofu – sliced into cubes
Spinach – 250 grams
Tejpat or Indian Bay Leaf – 2 pcs
Dry Chillis – 2 pcs
Cassia or Cinnamon – 2 pcs
Black Cardamom – 1 pc
Cloves – 4 pcs
Black Pepper – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
Garam Masala – ½ tsp
Dry Fenugreek leaves – 1 cup
Onion – 1 cup (small-sized)
Ginger – 1 tsp
Garlic – 2 tbsps
Tomato Paste – 2 tsps
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add 2 tablespoons of garlic. Then add the spinach, cook until it is completely dry.
- Set aside the cooked spinach and allow it to cool.
- Heat the pan again and 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the bay leaf, cassia, dry chili, and black cardamom. Saute until the aroma starts to emerge.
- Add a cup of chopped onions, a teaspoon of ginger, and garlic. Cook until onions start to become slightly translucent.
- After that, add all dried spices and pour in 2 teaspoons of tomato paste. Lowe the heat and mix all the ingredients.
- For the spinach puree, put the spinach inside the blender, add 1/2 cup water then start blending until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Add the spinach puree to the pan. Turn off the pan and mix everything nicely.
- Take a cup or a handful of fenugreek leaves and ½ tsp garam masala then add them to the mixture. Mix it nicely and allow it to cook for a few minutes.
- Add about ½ cup of water or as required. Mix and stir again.
- After that, add the sliced tofu directly to the gravy.
- Mix gently and add a teaspoon of black pepper (this is optional).
- Lastly, add salt to taste. You may also add 2 tablespoons of light cream or cooking cream or low-fat cream.
- Serve hot and enjoy!