Festive season is here, and it means it is high time for baking experiments! Eating aromatic cookies, spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg, has become a tradition, and all kids start craving for a sweet treat like they crave for a gingerbread man.
As always, we re-created a traditional recipe for you, but this time with a twist – it is simply much healthier than any cookies you’ve ever known! A delicious chocolate sweet, it is made only used plant-based ingredients, and there is a huge room for experimentation if you want to substitute something.
Try this Christmas recipe and let us know how it came out!
- gluten-free oat flour or oats (you’ll need to make fresh flour from them in a food processor) – 1 cup
- grated coconut – 1 cup
- coconut oil (melted) – 5 tbsp
- flaxseed egg (to make 1 egg mix 1 tbsp of ground flaxseeds with 3 tbsp of water, and let it sit for 15 minutes in a fridge, until it gets a consistency of an egg white) – 3 “eggs” / made with 3 tbsp of flaxseeds
- raw chocolate / cacao – 3 heaped tbsp
- jaggery / sweetener of choice – 1/2 cups
Step 1. In a separate bowl, whisk jaggery together with flaxseed eggs.
Step 2. Mix the rest of the ingredients together, add jaggery with flaxseed eggs and knit the dough, until it rolls into a ball.
Step 3. Roll the dough out to a 0.5 cm thickness, cut desired shapes with a cookie cutter and bake at 180 °C for about 25 minutes.
Your cookies are ready! For additional taste you can also add orange zest, or tiny stars made from fresh orange juice and agar-agar (like in the picture). We hope you’ll enjoy your healthy and delicious festive treat, and so will your family!